The costs for making a Will are as follows:
Simple, straightforward Will
A simple, straight forward Will costs £300.00 plus VAT (£60).
More complex Will
A more complex Will including some legacies, bequests or land trust £400.00 plus VAT (£80).
Complex succession planning/tax planning Will
We work together with an independent financial adviser to offer a range of options including life time gifts and trust arrangements.
A complex succession planning/tax planning Will costs £800 plus VAT (£160) including the cost of any required severance of joint tenancy, our usual charge for preparing a trust arrangement is £1,000 + VAT.
Letters of wishes
These are charged at £75.00 plus VAT.
What the costs cover:
- Meeting you to take your instructions.
- Drafting your Will and sending it to you for approval.
- Meeting you again to sign the will in accordance with legal formalities.
- Storing your Will here at the office.
What the fixed price does not include
- Advising you on a contested Will or Will litigation
- The cost of a medical assessment if a medical assessment is required to support your Will to prove that you have capacity to make a Will. We will charge extra legal fees of £300 plus VAT of £60. There will also be a payment to a third party, namely a medical assessor and the cost of the assessment will be advised to you. The fees vary from assessor to assessor and would range between £200 and £750 plus VAT.
- Providing financial advice. We do not provide financial advice as part of our service. We do not advise on lifetime tax planning or the creation of trusts during your lifetime.
- We charge an extra fee for home or hospital visits of £240 including VAT.
When is the fee payable
The fee is payable after the first meeting. The fee is still payable if you change your mind and decide not to proceed. We do not offer a free interview for will writing.