Latest News

Clarkson Hirst back call for compulsory alarm to detect killer gas

All rental properties and newly built homes should have carbon monoxide alarms installed to prevent unnecessary death. The Household Safety (carbon monoxide detectors) Bill is due to be debated in the House of Commons on Friday 12th September ahead of the gas safety week the 15th -21st September 2014.
Our Mr Winder has dealt with cases over the years including a very serious case where a client suffered brain injuries as a child that disabled him for his entire life because of poisonous carbon monoxide from faulty gas appliances circulating in homes undetected.
You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide. An alarm is the only chance of knowing it is there before it is too late.
Landlords already have a legal duty to have gas appliances maintained regularly. The additional safeguard of an alarm would be worthwhile.
Gas safety week is co-ordinated by the gas safety board to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining gas appliances.
The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, chest pain, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, distorted vision, breathlessness and stomach pains.
A carbon monoxide alarm in a home is just as necessary as a smoke alarm.
Matthew Winder is a senior litigator member of APIL and based at our Lancaster, Barrow and Kendal office


Posted , categories Legal industry News