Fathers’ Rights

Clarkson Hirst Solicitors

When you’ve split up with your ex-partner it’s important to know what your rights and responsibilities are as a father. It can often be the case when couples separate fathers are left in the dark in regards to the rights of the child / children.

The most important thing is to determine whether or not you have parental responsibility for your child/children.

As a father you have parental responsibility if:

  • The child’s birth was registered after December 1st, 2003 and your name is on the certificate as the father.
  • If you and the child’s mother sign a Parental Responsibility Agreement.
  • If you’re given a parental responsibility order by the court, or a Residence Order for the child to live with you.
  • If you marry the child’s mother.

If you have parental responsibility, even as the non-resident parent – you have the right to be consulted over important issues such as:

  • Changing schools
  • Going on holidays
  • Medical issues
  • Changing surname
  • Emigration
  • Adoption

When you hit difficulties with ex-partners refusing contact, or even just decision making, it is possible to make an application to the court. Here at Clarkson Hirst we can assist with everything from your rights as a father, to contents of the application and the guidance through the court process. We have offices in Barrow, Kendal and Lancaster. If you would like a free half an hour appointment please contact 01229 842310. One of our family team would be happy to help.

Please view our 'About Us' menu section to see our Coronavirus actions